Banner
Home Page   About Us   Products   Data Sheets   Contact Us
Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer
Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer
Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer
Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer

Product Images

Trafalgar Square, London: Lanterns & Columns
Whitehall columns for security
St Catharine's College, Cambridge: Lamppost & Lantern
Downing Street, London: Columns
Victorian Cast Iron Lampposts & Pedestals
Royal Wolferton, Norfolk: Lanterns
Victorian Lanterns: Standard & Bespoke
Signage: Name Plates & Plaques
House Entrance, Garden Gates & Railings
Bespoke Cast Iron Work
Kenwood House Boundary Marker
Cast Iron Kerbing
Cast Iron Letter Boxes
Church Iron Gates, Railings, Lanterns.& Plaques
Church Floor Grilles [Heating]
Warboys Village, Cambridgeshire: Queen Victoria 1897 Jubilee
Warboys Village, Cambridgeshire: Millennium Project
Western Park Sheffield
St Ives, Cambridgeshire: Cattle Market Restoration
Refurbishment Projects
Cambridge Park & Town Benches
St Ives, Cambridgeshire: Oliver Cromwell Monument
Measteg Town Bridgend Wales
Drinking Fountain & Pump Supply
Cambridge City Victoria Bridge Restoration
28ft Colonial & Bandstand
Hanging Basket Columns
Police Lanterns
Finger Posts Directional Signs
Traffic.& Pedestrian Bollards
Lectern In Stainless Steel
Village Signs
Information Panels
Weather Vanes
 
 
 


Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer

Warboys Queen Victoria 1897 Jubilee Tri-Arm Lighting Column

Restoration of the Commemorative 1897 Diamond Jubilee Column for Queen Victoria in the Village of Warboys, Huntingdonshire, Cambs. January 2000.

The old photo kindly supplied by a Warboys Village resident to The Parish Council  for illustrative Purpose only in making an exact copy of the lanterns and frog. We used this photo for an accurate stylizing of the lantern when replacing the one in Travalger Square.

Old Black & White Photo
2000 Photo
Above is an early Black & White photo of the Column & Lanterns sitting at the fork of Mill Green/High Street at the turn of the century. There were no roads or footpaths, in the Village, in this very rural country setting. The modern world, at this time, was somewhere else. However, as the photograph shows above, it is now a modern and thriving community, but, alas, the thatched house is sadly past history.

Warboys Parish Council Millennium Project.

Although the lanterns were long removed the cast iron column looked in good condition. The company, AJB, asked the Parish Council to request a grant for funds to remove, not only for refurbishment but to cover the cost to lift the column as the column had sunk below ground level. The company felt that had they replaced the 3 lanterns alone they would have looked unbalanced and top heavy with the lower half of the sunken column base. However, the grant was obtained and the company dug out the foundations and craned away the Tri-Arm column. A full restoration of the column took place in the works.

The column was originally set on a stone plinth and held in place in the traditional way with lead. AJB was left to design a more durable foundation. A cast iron Octagonal base plate plinth was manufactured and attached to a fabricated steel root that was hot dip zinc, galvanized and connected to the plinth by stainless bolts. A cable entry and flexible duct was installed to the feeder post next to the column and new cables were installed.

1 cubic metres cement was used in the foundation to prevent the column sinking. The column was then lowered onto the Octagonal cast iron Plinth with its recessed chambers for the column pegs to slot into. The molten lead was then poured to hold the column in place for the next 100 years.

The base of the column now shows its apophyge, torus, and its plinth to balance the look of the lanterns. The Black & White photograph, supplied by the Parish Council, was used to scale the lanterns and the company were able to guess the size of the column base as it should have matched the lantern diameter for an architecturally correct restoration.

When the column was blast cleaned it proved to be in excellent condition and was painted green to blend into a rural setting more easily. When the lanterns were being designed it was decided to keep the original look as much as possible with the modern requirements of electric fittings.

The lantern frame was cast in brass with a cast iron open frog, as the original. Although more costly to produce as tooling was required, the effect is stunning. The light is also able to emit from the base of the lantern. A CU Kamax refractor with 70 w son E lamps with integral gear was used in each lantern to light this busy cross roads.

The stylized 8 Oak leaves that surround the upper ring of the hinged canopy of the lantern add the look of strength that is part of this strong rural farming community. Translucent Polycarbonate glazing was used on the canopy to support and light the St Edward Crown topping the central Lantern.

The twin complimentary lanterns on the outreach arms have our own Imperial Finials to stand sentinel to the great Queen Victoria tribute.

Photo 2000
Different angle photograph of the Column & Lanterns at Warboys Weir.

Note the 5 m Oxford column behind the ornate Tri - Arm column to carry and supply the 240 v  for the  Xmas lighting.

Warboys Village, Cambridgeshire: Millennium Project.

 

Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer
Anthony John Bernasconi Design Spacer